If you’re interested in pursuing a career as a veterinarian, California has no shortage of great choices for vet schools.
The best vet schools in California are those with top-notch programs and can provide you with the training you need to enter your desired career field.
Whether you want to get your bachelor’s degree in vet tech and then attend vet school, or you’re looking to go right into vet school after high school, California is the place to be!
Let’s take a look at some of the best veterinary schools in California, along with important info that will help you make an informed decision about your future.
And as you read through, also check out our previous article on the comprehensive list of the best and easiest vet schools to get into so you can have more options.
Why should you study veterinary medicine in California?
There are many reasons to study veterinary medicine in California.
California is home to some of the best vet institutions and colleges in the country, offering a wide range of programs and specializations.
And with its warm climate and diverse landscape, California is the perfect place to learn about and care for a variety of animals.
What should you consider before applying for Vet Colleges in California?
Now that you want to get enrolled into any of the veterinary universities in California, you need to be found eligible and you should also have a list of things you expect from the school.
- before you enroll in any vet school, first of all, do your research and know if the school fits your requirements.
- Consider the location of the school and the program they offer.
- You want to know if the schools are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- You should consider the cost of tuition and living expenses, especially for international students wishing to study abroad in the US.
- Check the school’s acceptance rate, to know your chance of entrance, and review the school’s graduation rate and also employment rate.
These will help you decide if a particular school is good for you, we shall assist you by listing the best California vet schools in this guide, so you can make an educated decision.
What are the requirements for getting into a veterinary school in California?
Here are some of the requirements that consider you eligible to apply to the veterinary schools in California;
- Applicants should possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.5 with about 180 veterinary experience hours.
- Applicants should provide three (3) professional recommendations or motivation letters with at least one from a veterinarian.
What are the best Veterinary schools in California to get into?
Here is a list of the top California vet schools, these institutions are arranged in no particular ranking order;
- Mount San Antonia College
- California State Polytechnic
- University of California – Davis in Berkeley, CA
- Purdue University in Stanford, CA
- Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, California.
- Pima Medical Institute – Chula Vista
- Platt College-Los Angeles
- Central Coast College
- Santa Rosa Junior College
- Foothill College’s
1. Mount San Antonia College
Mt. San Antonio College is a public community college in Walnut, California that offers over 260 degree and certificate programs, 25 support programs, and more than 50 student clubs and athletic programs, including counseling and tutoring.
Mt. San Antonio College is also one of the top vet colleges in California offering a range of vet tech programs that can be completed in two years (including both summer and winter sessions).
The Vet tech program offered here is registered and accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
The program leads to an Associate of Science degree in Registered Veterinary Technology, and with a 100% acceptance rate, Mt. San Antonia College is arguably one of the easiest vet schools in California to get into.
Address: 1100 N Grand Ave, Walnut, CA 91789, United States.
Phone: +1 909-274-7500.
- The 3 Best Osteopathic Medical Schools In California To Get Into
- 20+ Best Accredited Massage Therapy Schools In California
2. California State Polytechnic
Founded in 1938, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is a public polytechnic university in Pomona, California.
It is also one of the best veterinary schools in California offering allied health programs, and the vet tech programs are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
The program takes four years to complete and provides students with the skills and knowledge they need to work as veterinary technicians.
The school also offers a two-year Associate of Science degree program for those who want to enter the workforce sooner.
And with an acceptance rate of 59%, California State Polytechnic Vet-School is not difficult to get into.
Address: 3801 W Temple Ave, Pomona, CA 91768, United States.
Phone: +1 909-869-7659.
3. University of California – Davis in Berkeley, CA
The University of California – Davis is one of the best vet institutions in California, it was established in 1948 and has become the primary health resource for California’s various animal populations.
It’s a public university that’s part of the University of California system, and it’s also the largest veterinary school in the world.
The vet college at UC Davis offers a four-year program that leads to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree.
Students at UC Davis also have the opportunity to get hands-on clinical experience by working with animals at the on-campus veterinary hospital.
Address: 944 Garrod Dr, Davis, CA 95616, United States.
Phone: +1 530-752-1360.
4. Purdue University in Stanford, CA
As one of the top vet institutions in California, Purdue University offers an array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
Located in Stanford, CA, this university is known for its strong research programs and experienced faculty.
The Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine majors in internationally advancing animal and human health and well-being through excellence in learning.
It takes about 4 years to complete the veterinary programs in this school leading to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
- 20 Best Party Schools In California According To Students
- The 12 Best Safety Schools In California To Get Into
5. Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, California.
California is home to many vet institutions, making it a great state for aspiring vet techs.
Western University of Health Sciences is one of the best vet colleges in California, it is a non-profit, private, veterinary medical.
The school offers a four-year Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program, consisting of about 400 veterinary medical students, and confers the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
Address: Western University of Health Sciences East 2nd Street Pomona CA, Pomona, CA 91766, United States.
Phone: +1 909-469-5628.
6. Pima Medical Institute – Chula Vista
Pima Medical Institute’s Chula Vista campus is one of the top vet institutions in California, offering a variety of degree and certificate programs.
Pima Medical Institute-Chula Vista Vet Tech School is a school located in Chula Vista, California offering allied health programs.
The school also provides job placement assistance to help students find work after graduation.
While there are many great vet colleges in California, Pima Medical Institute’s Chula Vista campus is one of the best.
Address: 780 Bay Blvd, Chula Vista, CA 91910, United States.
Phone: +1 800-477-7462.
7. Platt College-Los Angeles
Founded in 1985, Platt College-Los Angeles is one of the best vet colleges in Los Angeles California designed to provide in-depth study and training necessary to gain.
The Vet tech program at the Platt School of Medicine Sciences is designed to provide in-depth study and training necessary to gain entry-level employment in animal health care.
You can earn your Associate’s Degree in Veterinary Technology here in as little as 19 months!
Address: 1000 Fremont Avenue Building A9W, Alhambra, CA 91803, United States.
Phone: +1 626-300-5444.
- 20 Best NAIA Schools in California To Get Into
- 28 Best & Hardest Medical Schools to Get Into With Key Facts
8. Central Coast College
Located in Salinas, Central Coast College is one of the top vet colleges in California.
It is institutionally accredited and dedicated to providing real-world career training.
Central Coast College offers a 38-week vet tech program that is accredited by the AVMA and offers students the skills needed to successfully work alongside veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
Here are some of the things you can learn from this vet tech program;
- Proper restraining techniques
- Assisting with radiology and ultrasound imaging
- Maintaining and sterilizing equipment and facilities
- Administering some medications and immunizations
- Grooming procedures
- Maintaining medical records and taking patient history
Central Coast College is also one of the easiest vet schools to get into with an acceptance rate of 57% and has an undergraduate student enrollment.
Address: 480 S Main St #3301, Salinas, CA 93901.
9. Santa Rosa Junior College
Santa Rosa Junior College is a public community college in Santa Rosa, California with an additional campus in Petaluma and centers in surrounding Sonoma County.
It is also one of the recognized veterinary colleges in California that offer registered vet tech programs.
Individuals who are interested in working as vet office receptionists or as vet technician assistants can apply.
Address: 1501 Mendocino Ave, Santa Rosa, CA 95401, United States.
Phone: +1 707-527-4011.
10. Foothill College’s
Founded in 1957, Foothill College is a public community college located in Los Altos Hills, and one of the best vet colleges in California.
The school offers a two-year vet tech program leading to an Associate of Science in Veterinary Technology and is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Graduates of this program are eligible for State licensing as Registered Veterinary Technicians (R.V.T.).
Address: 12345 El Monte Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022, United States.
Phone: +1 650-949-7777.
All in all, these are the top vet schools based on our findings, it’s important to remember that each school has different strengths, so it’s important to find the one that best suits your needs.
With this information, you should be able to make an informed decision about which school is right for you.
If you enjoyed this article as much as we enjoyed writing it for you, kindly share it with a friend.
If you are a college, university, student organization, or business and want to partner with us, simply contact us.
- 45 Best & Easiest Online Schools To Get Into
- 5 Best Veterinary Schools in Alabama To Get Into
- 16 Best Pre-Med Schools in California To Get Into
- 23 Best & Easiest Vet Schools to Get Into
- 15 Best Physician Assistant Schools in California To Get Into
- 10 Best Vet Schools in UK To Get Into